We are seeking a team orientated, dynamic professional with excellent knowledge and a proven track record in litigation services and eDiscovery project and team management. The successful candidate will possess a thorough understanding of the EDRM process and best practice, a working knowledge of analytics and assisted review (TAR and CAL), and the ability to multi-task and juggle evolving matter and business priorities. Experience using litigation support software will be required, along with experience of managing eDiscovery projects end-to-end. Proficiency in systems such as Relativity, DISCO, Nextpoint and HighQ Collaborate; document review management; and trial services management is advantageous.
The Manager will serve as the primary contact, and oversee the delivery of litigation services, to our North America legal teams and clients on litigation service requests and issues, including matter management, vendor and software management, resourcing and team management, risk management and quality control, and process and product standardisation.
- Allocating matters to the North America litigation services team (the Team) ensuring their work is delivered effectively, to a high standard and on time.
- Particularly for those matters with unique and/or complex technical requirements, working with our legal teams, our clients and/or third parties in respect of the collection, conversion, processing, loading and exporting of client data for disclosure purposes while maintaining appropriate controls and safeguards.
- Recording time spent on client matters in order to enable such work to be billed to clients as appropriate, evaluating and passing through vendor invoices to clients, and monitoring payments to vendors.
- Understanding our North America legal teams and our clients' evolving litigation services requirements.
Vendor and software management
- Interfacing with vendors to ensure they deliver high quality and appropriate litigation services to the firm and our clients; and successfully optimizing our commercial arrangements with those vendors.
- Working with the Senior Manager, Practice Services (the Senior Manager) to negotiate software and service level agreements with vendors, and evaluate/review vendors, intermittently and as contracts renew to ensure financially prudent and competitive solutions are provided to the firm.
- Identifying the most innovative and cost effective litigation systems; and recommending to the Senior Manager any appropriate alternatives and/or enhancements to current systems.
Resourcing and team management
- Monitoring the Team's productivity and working with the Senior Manager to ensure the Team is properly resourced for the work they are required to perform.
- Helping the Team to develop by setting their objectives, developing professional development plans with them and conducting their appraisals.
Risk management and quality control
- Identifying risks arising from litigation services work (for example, data security, data quality and reputational risks) and developing with the Senior Manager plans to remediate or mitigate those risks.
- Monitoring the Team's performance to continuously improve the quality of their service; and helping them to develop their technical skills by assessing and addressing their project management and technology training needs.
Process and product standardisation
- Working with the Senior Manager to establish the Team's processes and standardise their work, including contributing to and maintaining the Team's runbook.
- Implementing best practices relating to case management, matter workflow and document management.
- Conducting and facilitating training for our North America legal teams on the use and benefits of litigation services processes and systems; and promoting the litigation services function to develop new business
- Implementing the global litigation services strategy in North America and working with the Senior Manager to evolve the strategy with respect to North America.
- 10+ years' experience in a professional environment (private practice or in-house experience preferred but litigation services vendor experience also highly valued) with progressive and sustained increase in knowledge and responsibility.
- A thorough understanding of EDRM processes and best practice with strong attention to detail for effective handling of client matters and a high concern for data security and quality.
- Experience managing large and complex eDiscovery, including database management and the use of analytics and assisted review (TAR and CAL).
- Knowledge of systems including Nextpoint, Relativity, DISCO, Compulaw, Concordance, Clearwell, etc.
- Experience deploying new technology applications for and to internal user groups.
- Strategic orientation with excellent analytical, problem solving and project management skills demonstrated by a track record of success in managing multiple concurrent matters and projects.
- Customer service orientation with the ability to promptly deal with new work, clarify internal and external needs, comprehend and suggest resolutions to problems in a professional/diplomatic manner, and communicate/interact effectively with all levels of staff.
- Ability to think, prioritize, perform and remain calm while under pressure in a stressful and fast paced environment.
- Ability to set and meet challenging deadlines, approach issues with a ‘can do’ attitude and take personal responsibility for getting things done.
- Proven ability to manage a successful team.